It was the 26th day of May 1917, just seven years after Daniel Dresbach founded the community of Circleville, and only a few weeks before construction began on the Erie Canal. On that day, the following annoumcement recorded the founding of what was to become St. Philip's. "Be it remembered that on the 26th day of May, A. D. 1817, the Rev. Philander Chase, late Rector of Christ Church, Hartford, State of Connecticut, preached and performed Divine Service in the town of Circleville, according to the Liturgy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. After which he explained his purpose in coming to the State of Ohio and the success in which has attended his labors, in collecting and organizing Churches to the Glory of God and the good of men’s souls.” The announcement goes on to say an instrument of Parochial Association was drawn and signed that same day, establishing St. Philip's church in communion with the Protestant Episcopal Church.
In 1832, a site was purchased for a small brick church. It was completed in the summer of 1834. As Circleville grew, there came a need for a new church. The present St. Philip’s church was consecrated in 1868. It still has its gas fixtures, walnut pews, woodwork and some of the original stained glass windows. The windows being the three tall, narrow windows visible in the façade on Mound Street. The parish hall was added in 1917 and the rectory was bequeathed to St. Philip’s in 1947 by Mrs. Georgia Hoffman James.
St. Philip’s Church is the oldest church building in continuous use in Pickaway County and is listed on the the National Register of Historic Places. The church just celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone on Augst 16, 2016.
You are invited to join us in celebrating our 200th anniversary in 2017! Reserve May 27, 2017 for a festive Eucharistic celebration of 200 years!